The accepted knowledge is that Diabetes destroys gradually over years. Ketosis Prone Type 2 diabetes is an acute form of type 2. This type 2 can reach fasting blood sugars of 300 or higher in months. This blog brings together all the documentation that I could find in the world and my speculation of what it means for KPD’s in specific and diabetics in general. I ask you to leave your stories about what happened to you so that we can all gain a better understanding of what we are dealing with.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Thinking out loud: The month of diagnosis

I spend an inordinate amount of time reading blogs and scientific literature. This gives me a great deal to think about but I find that many of these thoughts can't be moved to completion because there are too many uncertainties. Instead of keeping all this stuff fermenting in my head, I've decided to share it with others. Okay, this is a nice way of saying I'm dumping but I did say it nicely.

I would love to know this piece of information. When people go DKA, are the months that it occurs in random or do they group? I ask this because I still wonder about the Vit D link to diabetes in general and KPD in particular. Does it show a seasonal effect? I am betting that it would be during the winter months that DKA goes up. You could say that this would buttress my idea of Vit D implication but actually it doesn't. We tend to exercise a lot less in the winter months because of the danger and inconvenience. Blood sugars are often offset by exercise.

I started going bad in March basically because I wasn't out riding much. I doubt, if I lived in a warmer clime, that I would have ever found out I was diabetic until it was far too late. March, now that I think about it, would still be an interesting month. If we start at November as the time of, more or less, enforced sloth then by February a person should start to feel pretty bad from high blood sugars. This is passed the holidays, when gluttony would have pushed the glucose toxicity through the roof. The glucose toxicity would have pared back much of the pancreases functioning and the highs would be continuing and mounting. By February or March, the crap should have been hitting the fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm getting way too much spam comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.